Coloring books, cookbooks, and apps – oh, my!
Readers want books – you know, with pages and words and stories and information. But bookstores want books and other things to accompany them. Products that will flush out a brand, not just a single title. Of course, perhaps the most famous is the Harry Potter series, which spun off so many products that there’s actually a website dedicated just to the merchandising: HarryPotterShop.com. Visit to buy everything from wax seals for your letter-writing needs to magical mugs to bedding, wands, games, and calendars. But ancillary products are not just for kids’ books. Inspirational author Sark has a whole collection of goodies for sale on her site, from blankets (I see a theme here) to books to card decks.
So how does this translate to my book, Stan Finds Himself on the Other Side of the World? Well, lots of ways, actually.
- One thing I had planned long before they came into vogue (have I mentioned I started writing this book in 2004?) was a coloring book with my cartoon version of Stan in scenes from the many cities he visits.
- Another is a cookbook that offers one main dish, one drink, and one dessert from each of the same cities.
- I’m also planning to create an app that integrates a treasure hunt of some sort (if Pokeman Go can do it, so can I!) with a tour of the places Stan visits.
- Postcards seem a natural fit.
- As does a travel diary.
- And a Stan-styled postal bag, to be sure!
- And a small gift book with the ways to say “hello” and “I love you” in all the languages of the countries passes through.
- I’m not sure I’ll go with a plushie of Isis – although I’d never say never.
Whether or not they ever wind up in book stores or not, I can design them and sell them on my website and other travel sites that may have room for clever products.
What kind of toy or other product would entice you to jump on Stan’s travel bandwagon? Comments are encouraged and welcome below!
Read the FIRST 5 Chapters of Stan Finds Himself on the Other Side of the World.
LAURA ORSINI is an author and self-publishing consultant who works with other authors who want to change the world. From concept to publication to the first-time author’s book launch, her expertise will help you make a better book and find more readers. Friend her on Facebook, follow her on Twitter, and check out her pins on Pinterest.